Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Rest of Your Life...what's that? Life Insurance You Say?

So, like Rachel, I'm also chilling at home for the summer. But, I'm in it for the long haul forbidding overwhelming circumstances and influx of income. I love the food, the fam, and I've tried to steer away from the "awkward" situations. But, as some of you may now, after a week or so, you start to get a little anxious; your daily life starts resembling the habits of someone suffering from cabin fever; and you start to detox from Yale...for good.

This is the first time any of us has had to quit cold turkey though, and I think I've handled it well. I've eaten way too much in the time away (stocked frig every week!!!111one!!11), and I've now started compensating by exercising every other day...or when I get too bored. Is that bad? I'm exercising from boredom, never thought I'd see the day.

And when I'm not eating or exercising, I'm looking for an apartment in Madison, furnished bedroom preferably, not gonna have a car the first year, so close to campus or busline is a must. I'm 22, gonna be a 1st year grad student at UW. I'm positive, easy going, neat, and fairly social. Anyone? Anyone? No takers...well I'll keep waiting.

And when I'm not trying to plan the next 5 years of my life, I'm thinking of things to do I've never had time to do. Practice Spanish (I listened to tons of Juanes and Shakira today). Practice Italian (Yea, I dropped the ball here all I listened to was Pensa by Fabrizio Moro). Develop a new system for estimating ages and masses of stars (Yea right...I'm just really irked by HR diagrams, but I don't have the will at least, not now to do something about it). Oh and I have a saxophone, almost forgot about that whole music thing. And wait, I was supposed to be trying to make money too. So, I've been scanning craigslist, my local newspaper, but no leads on anything interesting or easy and lucrative....until today.

My aunt's father-in-law (still with me? I know we tight in da souf) sells insurance, and he brings up casually today after asking the trite questions he knows the answers to already. So, you going to Wisconsin next fall? Yep. Gonna be here all summer? Yep. You gonna work at all? Only if I can find something easy and lucrative or interesting. So he tells me I could get my insurance license in 2 weeks, and be earning at least $100 in sales from newborn insurance from concerned mothers. Granted, sounds sorta sketch at first. But I listened to him and asked him some questions. I'd have to take a class for 4-5 days and shell out around $300 dollars to take the class and a test, but once certified, I could sell as often as I'd like, and depending on the type, I could earn more.

My grandfather-in-law (yea we'll call him that cause I can't keep saying aunt's father-in....arggh I'm doing it) essentially made insurance selling his #1 thing, and he's done quite well for himself. So, it'd be a nice side income. Plus, it's a much more satisfying way to make money than by screwing people over. Insurance is something everyone needs, and you're never angry that you have it when you need it. So, maybe I've found that interesting summer thing...

2 comments:

  1. Greg, COME VISIT ME when I get back to the Delta!! I'm in Houston right now, at institute until July 11, and then I'm going back to the Delta. Don't know where I'm going to live yet, but come visit!

    ReplyDelete