Sunday, August 16, 2009

Two photos

1:
Last weekend, I drove to Boston and back to visit Henry. That's over 12 hours of driving without incident. When I got back to Rochester on Sunday night, I drove to the grocery store to pick up food for tomorrow's lunch, and then this happened, two blocks from home.

A building on the street corner had collapsed, and the city put up a barricade to close off the street, and the city did not put up any signs or lights or barrels or anything reflective so that the barricade could be seen in the dark. And I drove through it.

The bartender at the bar that I crashed in front of told me that I was the third person to hit the barricade that night, and the firefighters who showed up after the bartender called 911 assured me that the barricade shouldn't have been left up the way it was.

But the cop who showed up told me that he wasn't going to ticket me for damaging city property and that it would be better for my insurance premiums if he didn't have to file an accident report for my "inattentive" driving. He made me mad and frustrated, and I cried, which made me feel stupid and helpless and weak and not as grown-up as I'd like to think I am.

In the end, I was fine, though my car got a bit scratched up, and I had to replace the driver's side mirror, but it wasn't a very fun end to my otherwise lovely weekend. And it made me feel lonely. I could've really used a hug that night.

2.

Henry came up to visit this weekend. We went to his aunt's husband's ex-wife's family reunion in Victor, NY, which is about half an hour away from here. Surprisingly not too awkward, considering that Henry was barely related to the people there, and I was related to no one.

While we were there, Henry's aunt's husband, grandfather to two adorable twin girls, snapped the above photo of Henry staring at my boobs (you may have to click on the photo to see the larger version to get the full effect). I can't tell if his aunt was trying to be funny when she emailed it to us because she thought we'd like it or if she didn't notice and really just thought we'd like it.

I bet my dad would really like it...

3 comments:

  1. Naw, it's actually just a really cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to:

    Picture 1) *Hug* That's gotta suck. I got into a minor fendor bendor over the July 4th weekend. I were suck outside the GW Bridge in NYC for two hours in which I moved perhaps 10 feet. And within those 10 feet in 2 hours, I managed to love tap the car in front of me. Dude was old and British and his wife was old and British and I was so embarassed (and I also couldn't read his UK drivers license and copied down all sorts of numbers I'm sure don't mean anything). I was even more embarassed sitting behind them for another hour in traffic.

    Picture 2) You don't want to know what I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agggh traffic accidents! Brings back a painful reminder of my last full day on vacation in Myrtle (driving 25 hours to Myrtle and back...no problem...only to get in an accident 5 minutes from the hotel). At least that wasn't bad either, and you all were there that day! Hopefully everything's all right now...I'd give you a big empathetic hug if I could!

    ReplyDelete