Sunday, September 27, 2009

Birthday adventures

I made the drive down to Yale last weekend to see Henry for my birthday. I left work early on Friday and took Monday off (I'd worked Labor Day in exchange). I managed to nab a room at the Courtyard at Yale for $50/night on Priceline, way better than their advertised rate of $150/night (yes, staying in Henry's dorm would've been free, but that would've been pretty awkward for his roommate). It was weird being back on campus - I felt like I didn't belong there (because I don't anymore), and I didn't like it. Yale had always felt like home before.

I had brunch in new Calhoun and got to see some of the young'uns (Dan baked me a bazillion of the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had), and Dr. J. took me and my friend Mark (Calhoun '09) on a tour of the renovated basement and Master's house. Dr. J's son must've grown a foot over the summer! I remember when that kid was knee high to a grasshopper and didn't say a word. Way back when we were freshmen. Sigh.



Other birthday weekend adventures included finding an AWESOME hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place, running out to Costco so I could buy more calcium chews (very important, ladies!), peach and pear picking at Bishop's Orchards, and a lovely birthday dinner at La Taberna in Bridgeport with a $25 off "gift certificate" from Restaurant.com.

All in all, I think it was my favorite birthday so far. Not that last year wasn't great - first football game as DM, followed by drinking and Toad's-ing with y'all was epic. But this year, I never felt like throwing up, and last year, I wanted to throw up lots, from first football game nerves and from y'all buying me too many drinks.

I miss you all! And I vote we all go to Mexican Taqueria Market #2 on the Sunday after The Game, if y'all will still be in town.

Oh, and PS: when I arrived on Friday night, as I was pulling up to the back gate of Pierson, a bunch of the men's hockey team walked past, all dressed up in suits. I miss them too.

1 comment:

  1. Aw man, I'd forgotten about last year. That was definitely MY favorite of your birthdays.

    ReplyDelete